The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
Responsibilities include providing direct management of shift QA staff and inspection duties encompassing all SPC and Specialist responsibilities and knowledge. Oversees daily training and project objectives, as instructed by the QA Manager, including all product, QMS and SPC inspections. Provides solid leadership within the Plant QA department to achieve the company, plant, and department goals, through various management, evaluation and improvement strategies, aimed at improving overall quality and profitability. Masters and applies all QA policies and procedures in daily interactions with plant production and quality employees. Manages quality programs and exercises technical expertise, including training, assessing performance and making program and process improvements. Assumes QA Manager duties, when needed. This is a 2nd shift position (2-11pm approximately).
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Demonstrates ownership and practical knowledge of all applicable QA and Regulatory programs and applies them throughout daily responsibilities to make sound decisions and execute quality oversight.
- Supervises shift Quality Assurance employees and conducts quality inspections.
- Works to prevent process or product failures. Focuses on continuous improvement of product quality through attention to process details and specifications with organized activities, including Operations and Quality Assurance.
- Trains employees in quality functions, daily product shows, being current on specs and updating operations, monitors giveaway and yields for opportunities.
- Responsible for managing performance plans, work schedules, vacations, assignments and special projects, as well as training and personnel development for direct reports.
- Required to conduct operational and pre-operational sanitation inspections, including micro sampling, to verify the effectiveness of sanitation activities. The duties include regular completion of Food Safety, CCP and sanitation paperwork that should ultimately result in no FS deviations. Conducts FMP and Sanitation audits as directed with documented corrective actions and follow-up, as necessary. Takes action in response to negative micro and Shelf Life data to drive improvement.
- Completes reassessments of SQF Quality Plan if:
- Addition or removal of processing steps
- Introduction of new product with processing steps not in currently included in Quality Analysis
- At a minimum SQF Quality Plan is reassessed annually.
- Oversees the development, implementation, review and maintenance of the SQF System, including food safety fundamentals outlined in 2.4.2, the food safety plan outlined in 2.4.3 and the food quality plan outlined in 2.4.4;
- Takes appropriate action to maintain the integrity of the SQF System.
- Communicates to relevant personnel all information essential to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of the SQF System.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in a Science field and 2-3 years’ experience in the food industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge and understanding of food safety - quality assurance principles and meat processing required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of USDA, HACCP, and SSOP requirements.
- HACCP Certified, preferred.
- SQF Certified Expert, preferred.
- Ability to uphold regulatory, company and customer standards.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.